SteriPEN Classic is an ultraviolet sterilizer with pre-filter created by Hydro-Photon Inc. It is one of the company’s UV purifiers that deliver water that is safe and portable when you are on travel, in an emergency, or on the trail.
SteriPEN Classic is utilized in purifying water to make it safe, drinkable and available to people. It primarily wipes out bacteria, cysts, and viruses including Cryptosporidium and Giardia through high-energy UV (Ultraviolet) light. The product is an easy-to-use device, which sterilizes water in an efficient and quick way without using any chemicals or the need for physical force of pumping water.
SteriPEN Classic’s Key Features
- Eliminates 99.9% bacteria, viruses, and protozoa, including Cryptosporidium and Giardia, with the use of Ultraviolet light
- User-friendly product with a push-button start
- Powered by 4 AA batteries that measures 7.6 inch long and weighs 8 ounces
- Completes water purification within 48 seconds for 16 ounces and 90 seconds for 32 ounces
- No use of chemicals and pumping
- Water resistant
- Includes a water pre-filter
Pros and Cons
SteriPEN Classic is a water purifier that is easy-to-use and durable. It purifies and treats water fast, especially in areas where water is unsafe and undrinkable. It is reliable and efficient for a prepper, backpacker or camper.
- It works with most brands of wide-mouthed water bottles.
- Low level of maintenance and cleaning is needed.
- Three year warranty
- No pumping required
The major negative in my opinion is its’ use of batteries. You must keep spare batteries with you at all times or a method to charge the ones you have while on the go.
SteriPEN Classic Consumers Reviews
Many consumers purchase and use the SteriPEN Classic on day trips, backpack trips, and camping. These activities usually take about two to ten days of outdoor activity. Water is one of the basic needs a person must account for and the SteriPEN Classic has received praises from its users because it is effective, easy-to-use, easy to clean and durable. The pre-filter that accompanies the product can be utilized if water is muddy or bad.
SteriPEN Classic had been recognized and received awards, including Time’s Top 100 Gadgets of the Century (2001), Editors’ Choice’s Adventurer Opti Backpacker (2011), Men’s Journal’s Gear of the Year (2011), and Travel and Leisure’s Best Travel Accessory (2011).
SteriPEN Classic specifications:
- Dimensions: 7.6” x 1.5” x 1.5”
- Weight: depending on the batteries used, 6.5 to 8 ounces
- Utilizes UV light
- Needs AA batteries to power up and work
In the past the SteriPEN Classic was my primary method of water purification. (Be sure you understand the difference between filtered and purified.) On a recent back-country trip to test out some gear I forgot to bring batteries with me and was forced to use a backup method to have drinking water. The SteriPEN is a great choice as a method to make water potable IF you are sure to always keeps plenty of spare batteries with you at all times.